Sun Jan. 12 1941
# SHIP RUNS AGROUND NEAR CHAPEL ST LEONARDS
# KING OF NORWAY VISITS EXILED SERVICEMEN AT ‘ROYAL ARTHUR’

Rose Brothers, a long-established engineering company in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, was heavily committed to design and production of military equipment for the war effort, notably advanced gun-turrets for bomber aircraft. The Rose family had connections with Chapel St Leonards, having built for themselves, in the late 1920s, a private property ‘Gainsborough House’ on the sandhills overlooking ‘The Grange’.

Algitha Road Methodist Church was in Skegness. Mr A would have been preaching in his capacity as a Methodist ‘local Circuit preacher’.

The unclear word transcribed as ‘folk’ (referring to the church congregation) may have been written in a way to suggest a pronunciation like ‘fook’. The comment on “dialect” probably referred to the fact that Mr A (an educated Londoner) spoke in a way that was not familiar to the entire local congregation.

Wilf Pimperton, another ‘local preacher’, was probably ‘Mr P.’ here. He was a carpenter/joiner and member of the Royal Observer Corps. The family lived close to the sandhills at ‘The Point’.

Jack Taylor was the regular family butcher, whose shop, at that time, was in Hogsthorpe. As lieutenant, he was in charge of the Home Guard which covered Chapel St Leonards.

Page 2 of 2 | Previous page

Leave a comment





*