Sun. May. 9. 43 6.20. pm.

It is more than a month since I wrote in my diary, and quite a lot of interesting things have happened. I have been busy with visitors and cleaning, and a few days off now and then with asthma and so neglected my entries.

At the new moon in April the wind, a great gale, was N.W. veering N and at the 8 o’ clock spring tides two days later, piled the seas up in the narrow entrance to the Wash, of which the Point is like one doorpost. It was the biggest tide, at least the highest waves I have ever seen and the biggest on this coast for 40 years or more. It burst the bank at old Capron’s and flooded the Marsh as far as Cousins, surrounding their bungalow to a depth of 4 ft. Altho’ the tide was beating at the bank by 8 o’clock summer time (6 GMT) and broad daylight, they carelessly locked up and never went out to look if it was coming in. Granthams went to warn them but could not make them hear so concluded they were not at home and it was not until the water suddenly rose round their feet that they found out. Fortunately there are bedrooms upstairs so they retreated up there and were rescued by boat next morning. Emily L was here for week-end and we walked down on Sunday night to look at the Marsh. It looked very desolate with its bombed bungalows surrounded by water.

A terrific amount of damage was done all along the coast. I watched it from my bedroom window, Jean and Father went to the box. The water came over each side of it. It was a magnificent sight, even the bit I could see over the Point. Still I could see right across the Wash. Glorious rolling green waves, galloping white horses with flowing manes and tails racing towards the land. In the gap between sea-horse and gun-house huge plume of gossamer spray like white smoke would suddenly go up 50 feet in the air then race with the speed of an express train to the shore. Huge walls of brown water rose 50 feet out of the sea then caught the N.W. wind as they broke. The spray was blown back a white veil for 40 or 50 yards as the wave galloped over the wild water to the shore, spreading all around it a lacy white train, like a dusky bride all robed in purest white. Far in the west from behind the wrack of flying dark rain clouds the slim moon peeped now and then as if afraid to look on the wild waters, she had made her pact with the wild North West wind to raise.

Emily stayed from Sat. until Mon. Then Grandma came on the next Thursday and stayed until Tuesday. She was not very well and nervous and wanted a change. She seemed very content and I hope it did her good.

Mr Capron was the pig breeder and soft fruit grower who lived near the edge of ‘The Marsh’. See 19 Dec. 1942 and Village Map.

Mr and Mrs Cousins, whose bungalow was in ‘The Marsh’ area, were believed to be the couple who had previously lived at ‘Granby’ in South Road (see 5 Nov. 1941).

The ‘gun-house’ was the existing concrete emplacement, upon which the Coastguard watch-box had been re-sited in the previous year (see 4 Sep. 1942). The breakwaters in the vicinity would have contributed to the visual effect described.

Leave a comment