September 1942
# ‘ELVERS’ – A REFLECTION BY MAY HILL

The two main drains passing through Chapel St Leonards were the Orby Drain, which ran under Tylers Bridge and Cradle Bridge, near the school, and Willoughby High Drain which ran under Chapel Bridge near ‘Hill View’ and the Methodist chapel. That drain had a lock, and the two drains then merged, close to ‘Keal Cottage’ (a former home of May and Will). The merged drain ran alongside St Leonards Drive towards the ‘basin’ (a gated drainage reservoir) linked via a ‘tunnel’ to the ‘outfall’ to the sea. (See 6 Mar. 1941 and Village Map.) The postcard view is by JS & S (Sands) as reproduced in ‘The Casualties Were Small’ with the permission of the photographer’s family.

 

Page 2 of 2 | Previous page

Leave a comment





*